Aquiles Este facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Aquiles Este (born June 29th, 1962, Caracas) is an American brand consultant, semiotician, published author, and college professor. He is an early proponent of the study of sign replication, the digital spread of beliefs, and social media shareability.
Early life and education
Este was born in Caracas, Venezuela. He studied journalism and advertising at Universidad Central de Venezuela. He later went to Universidade de São Paulo and Universidade Católica de São Paulo where he obtained a doctorate degree in Semiotics and Communication Science.
He returned to Caracas and worked as a dean at ProDiseño, one of the most awarded design schools in Latin America. He then traveled to New York City to work on Computational Linguistics with New York University’s linguist, Ray C. Dougherty. As a visiting scholar at NYU’s Department of Media, Culture, and Communication, Este conducted a research project on the interrelation of Charles S. Peirce’s concept of sign replication and Marshall McLuhan’s media theories, this under the guidance of rhetorician Neil Postman, the founder of Media Ecology.
Back in Caracas, Este taught Corporate Branding at Instituto de Estudios Superiores de Administración (IESA), a business school in Latin America. In 2009 he entered the United States under an EB1-A (Extraordinary Ability Green Card).
Este started his career as Creative Vice President for Lowe. He conducted the branding programs for cities and countries in the Americas, including Panama and Belize. He has experience of thirty years commanding all types of brands in North and South America, Europe, and Asia. He has worked in categories such as commercial, political, personal, and destination brands. In 2016, Este coined the term polimercial brands, refering to commercial products and services that need to position themselves on social and political issues. “Polimercial brands are the most challenging topic in the practice of contemporary marketing”. He is a permanent contributor to the New York Times.
In 2016, Este’s social listening models were used by the British consultancy Social Data Intelligence to predict the United States National Election results. As of 2021, he teaches Brand Content Management at the University of Miami, Herbert Business School and consults on branding and crisis management for regional leaders and international corporations.
- Aquiles Este, 1987, Ideas for an Epistemology of Communication, Universidad Central de Venezuela University Press, Caracas, Venezuela.
- Aquiles Este, 1996, Replicant Culture / The New Semiocentric Order Gedisa, Barcelona Spain.
- Aquiles Este, 1997, Graphic Design in Venezuela / An Anthology Centro La Estancia, Caracas Venezuela.
- Aquiles Este, 2003, Einstein / The King of the Absent-minded, Cyls Editores, Barcelona, Spain
- Aquiles Este, November 2001, Peirce, McLuhan and Company / The Revenge of the Nerds, Counterblast Journal of Culture and Communication, New York.
- Aquiles Este, December 2005, TV, our daily bread, Post-TV and hypermedia, Alfa Eds, Caracas, Venezuela
- Aquiles Este, November 2008, Dilemmas of the Present, Mondadori Eds, Bogota, Colombia.
- Aquiles Este, July 2012, Trends in Provenance Branding, Debates IESA, Caracas, Venezuela.
Este was listed as “one of the most serious experts in the study of cultural replication” by Alejandro Piscitelli, one of the leading international authorities in digital communications.
Este lives in Miami, where he commands his own brand consultancy.
Aquiles Este Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.