Čížečku, čížečku facts for kids
The song is a chain of verses of the same pattern of call and response:
- Siskin, o little Siskin, a little birdie,
- Tell me o Siskin how the poppy is sown
- This is how the poppies are sowed (repeated, with variations)
In Czech language:
- Čížečku, čížečku, ptáčku maličký,
- pověz mi čížečku, jak sejou mák?
- Aj tak, tak sejou mák, aj tak, tak sejou mák,
- aj tak, tak sejou mák, tak sejou mák.
The call/response is repeated, with the verb "sowed" being replaced with the other stages of growing, harvesting and processing the poppies:
- Is milled (or "crushed")
- Is eaten
With every response the children are supposed to perform an action of how exactly the poppy is sown, grown, eaten, etc. It may also be arranged in the form of a dance.
Čížečku, čížečku Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.