American Library Association Notable lists are announced each year in January by various divisions within the American Library Association (ALA). There are six lists, part of the larger ALA awards structure.
- ALA Notable Books for Adults (established 1944) is an annual list selected by the Reference and User Services Association (RUSA), a division of the ALA. Within RUSA, a 12-member Notable Books Council selects "25 very good, very readable, and at times very important fiction, non-fiction, and poetry books for the adult reader."
- ALA Notable Books for Children (established 1940) is an annual list selected by the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), a division of the ALA. Within ALSC, a Selection Committee "identifies the best of the best in children's books." According to ALSC policy, the current year's Newbery Medal, Caldecott Medal, Belpré Medal, Sibert Medal, Geisel Award, and Batchelder Award books automatically are added to the Notable Children's Books list.
- ALA Notable Children's Recordings (established 2004) is an annual list selected by the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC). The list identifies the best in children's recordings.
- ALA Notable Children's Videos (established 2004) is an annual list selected by the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC). The list identifies the best in children's video.
- ALA Notable Government Documents (established 1984) is an annual list selected by GODORT (Government Documents Round Table), a division of the ALA.
- ALA Notable Videos for Adults (established 1998) is an annual list selected by the Video Round Table, a division of the ALA. It is a list of 15 outstanding programs released on video within the past two years and suitable for all libraries serving adults.
American Library AssociationAmerican Association of School Librarians (AASL)Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS)Association for Library Service to Children(ALSC)Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA)Library Information Technology Association (LITA)Public Library Association (PLA)Reference and User Services Association (RUSA)Young Adult Library Services Association(YALSA)American LibrariesBooklistChildren and LibrariesChoiceCollege & Research LibrariesPublic LibrariesYoung Adult Library Services Founders
- Justin Winsor
- Charles Ammi Cutter
- Samuel S. Green
- James L. Whitney
- Melvil Dewey
- Fred B. Perkins
- Thomas W. Bicknell
Books for adults
- Andrew Carnegie
- Gleason library history
For children and
ALA Notable lists Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.