Arnold's Bar and Grill facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsArnold's Bar and Grill
Exterior of Arnold's Bar & Grill
|Current owner(s)||Chris and Bethany Breeden|
|Previous owner(s)||Susan Fawcett, Simon Arnold, Hugo Arnold, Elmer Arnold, Jim Christakos & George Christos, Alex Chaldekas, Jim Tarbell, Ronda Breeden|
|Rating||4.5 Stars (Google)|
|Street address||210 E 8th St|
|Coordinates||39°06′19″N 84°30′36″W / 39.10514°N 84.51011°W|
Arnold's Bar and Grill is the oldest continuously operating bar in Cincinnati, Ohio, and one of the oldest in the United States.
In 2010 Shepard Fairey installed a 15-foot-tall by 20-foot-wide mural entitled "Global Warning" on Arnold's exterior wall. Fairey installed the mural as part of his show "Supply and Demand" at the Contemporary Arts Center that year. The mural is made from wheatpasted screen prints, which the bar has maintained.
In 2013 street artist JR installed a wheatpaste mural in Arnold's courtyard. The mural depicts Arnold's waitresses from the 1930s. JR installed the piece as part of his "Unframed" series, an ongoing project that began in 2010 using images by famous or anonymous photographers and archival images taken out of their context. JR has exhibited Unframed works in Cincinnati, Marseille, Atlanta, Washington DC, Baden Baden, Grottaglie, Vevey, and São Paulo.
In 2015 the artist Hargo (also known as Cash For Your Warhol) installed a mural on Arnold's exterior alley wall. Hargo installed the mural as part of his show "Cash For Your Warhol: Fund Your Startup!" being held at The BLDG in Covington, Kentucky.
In 2020 street artist Vhils installed a carved bas-relief mural portraying "Peanut Jim" Shelton in the courtyard.
Awards and accolades
- 2018 The Daily Meal 150 Best Bars in America
- 2016 Serious Eats – The Cincinnati 10
- 2016 Whiskey Advocate Magazine – 48 Hours in Cincinnati
- 2015 The Daily Meal 150 Best Bars in America
- 2013 Esquire Magazine "Best Bars in America"
- 2013 Buzzfeed's Oldest and Coolest Bars
- 2001 Men's Journal Magazine "50 Best Bars in America"
- 2000 Travel and Leisure Magazine "Where to Go Next..."
- 1982 Post Corbett Awards Finalist
- 1979 Corbett Awards Finalist
- 1980 Addy American Advertising Federation
- 1980 Zagat Survey ~ America's Top Restaurants
Arnold's is a frequent winner of local alternative newspaper CityBeat's annual best-of lists such as Best Live Music While You Eat, Best No Frills Watering Hole, Best Business Lunch. Cincinnati magazine named Arnold's Cincinnati Dancing Pig burger one of the best in the city.