British Rail locomotive and multiple unit numbering and classification facts for kids
A number of different numbering and classification schemes were used for locomotives and multiple units operated by British Railways (BR), and this page explains the principal systems. This section also covers the post-privatisation period, as the broad numbering and classification arrangements have not altered since the break-up of BR.
For further information on individual classes of locomotive or multiple unit, see these pages:
- List of British Rail classes
- Steam locomotives of British Railways
- Locomotives of the Great Western Railway
- Locomotives of the Southern Railway
- Locomotives of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway
- Locomotives of the London and North Eastern Railway
Related pages on BR numbering and classification include:
- British Rail TOPS first arrangement
- British Rail Regional Multiple Unit Numbering
- British Carriage and Wagon Numbering and Classification
- Route availability
British Rail locomotive and multiple unit numbering and classification Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.