Harris and Me facts for kids
Harris and Me first edition cover
|Cover artist||Wendell Minor|
|Publisher||Harcourt Children's Books|
|October 29, 1993|
|Media type||Print (hardback & paperback)|
|Pages||168 pp (first edition)|
|LC Class||PS3566.A834 H37 1993|
Harris and Me is a children's novel written by author Gary Paulsen. It was first published in 1993. The book is composed of a collection of vignettes with a subheading to preview each chapter. Based on a 2007 online poll, the National Education Association listed the book as one of its "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children."
- The "Me" of the title is an eleven-year-old boy who narrates the story. Since "Harris and Me" is a memoir of Gary Paulsen's childhood, The "Me" is Gary Paulsen, Or at least in his point of view.
- Harris Larson: A hyperactive nine-year-old boy who loves kinetic adventures.
- Knute Larson: Harris's father, a coffee-guzzling farmer who almost never speaks.
- Louie: A farmhand on the Larson's place, who sleeps above the barn. He has no teeth and swallows his food without chewing. He also has a hobby of making small wooden sculptures, including a wooden hand sized bust of the main character in the memoir.
- Glennis Larson: Harris's older sister, who repeatedly slaps Harris for swearing, which happens numerous times a day.
- Clair Larson: Harris's mother, the cook of the family.
- Buzzer: A lynx who was found and raised by Louie as a pet.
- Ernie: An extremely aggressive rooster
- Vivian: A big cow who doesn't like to be touched or milked.
- Bill and Bob: The Huge Horses
Note: This is a memoir of a summer in the life of Gary Paulsen. It is said that he never went back to visit Harris.
Harris and Me Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.