Jōan (era) facts for kids
Events of the Jōan era
- 1172 (Jōan 1, 3rd day of the 1st month): Takakura reached the age of 11 years; and this was marked by coming of age ceremonies.
- 1171 (Jōan 1, 13th day of the 1st month): Takakura visited the home of former-Emperor Go-Shirakawa. In this setting, he first met Taira no Tokuko (平徳子). She was the adopted daughter of Go-Shirakawa and the actual daughter of Taira no Kiomori. Takakura accepted the 15-year-old girl as his consort.
- 1171 (Jōan 2, 10th day of the 2nd month): Tokuko became Takakura's secondary empress (chūgo).
- 1172 (Jōan 2, 10th month): Takakura visited the Fushimi Inari-taisha and the Yasaka Shrine.
- 1172 (Jōan 2, 12th month): Matsu Motofusa is given the office of kampaku.
- 1173 (Jōan 3, 1st day of the 4th month): Shinran, founder of Jodo Shinshu, was born.
- 1173 (Jōan 3, 4th month): Takakura visited the Iwashimizu Shrine and the Kamo Shrines.
- 1174 (Jōan 4, 1st month): The emperor made visits to his father and to his mother.
Jōan (era) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.