Karen Ackerman facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|Born||October 9, 1951
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
|Notable awards||Caldecott Medal, 1989, for Song and Dance Man|
She was born in Cincinnati, Ohio and graduated from Woodward High School in 1969.
Ackerman's first children's book was published in 1982. She has since published over twenty-five books. Her books have won many awards including Parents' Choice, ABA Pick of the List, ALA Notable Books, Children's Book Council/NCSS Notable Books in the Field of Social Studies, New York Library Best List, Horn Book's Best, and School Library Journal Best Books.
Her picture-book Song and Dance Man, illustrated by Stephen Gammell, won the 1989 Caldecott Medal. The book was adapted into a children's theater production at the Sunset Playhouse in Elm Grove, Wisconsin in 2019.
- Flannery Row New York: Atlantic Monthly (1986)
- Song & Dance Man (1988)
- Theo's Vineyard (1989)
- Araminta's Paint Box, illustrated by Betsy Lewin. (1990)
- The Banshee illustrated by David Ray. New York: Philomel (1990)
- Just Like Max illustrated by George Schmidt. New York: Knopf (1990)
- The Tin Heart (1990)
- Moveable Mabeline (1990)
- When Mama Retires New York: Knopf (1992)
- I Know A Place, illustrated by Deborah Kogan Ray. New York: Houghton Mifflin (1992)
- This Old House New York: Atheneum (1992)
- By the Dawn's Early Light, illustrated by Catherine Stock (1994)
- The Sleeping Porchillustrated by Elizabeth Sayles. New York: Morrow (1995)
- Bingleman's Midway, illustrated by Barry Moser. Honesdale: Boyds Mills Press (1995)
- In the Park With Dad: A Story for Kids Whose Parents Don't Live Together illustrated by Linda Crockett-Blassingame. Boston: Pauline Books and Media (1996)
- Walking With Clara Belle illustrated by Debbie Mason. Boston: Pauline Books and Media (1996)
- Bean's Big Day (2004)
- The Leaves in October (1991)
- The Broken Boy New York: Philomel (1991)
- The Night Crossing (1994)
Karen Ackerman Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.