Timeline of Jersey City, New Jersey facts for kids
Kids Encyclopedia Facts - Homework Help
Prior to 19th century
|Timeline of New Jersey|
- 1802 - Population of Paulus Hook: 13.
- Land bought from Cornelius Van Vorst by the Associates of the Jersey Company.
- Streets of the Hook laid out.
- 1812 - Steam ferry begins operating.
- 1820 - "City of Jersey" incorporated in Bergen Township.
- 1824 - Jersey Glass Company established.
- 1825 - Jersey Porcelain and Earthenware Company incorporated.
- 1833 - American Pottery Manufacturing Company in business.
- New Jersey Railroad terminal and Paterson and Hudson River Railroad terminal established.
- Newark-Jersey City horsecar begins operating.
- 1835 - Jersey City Gazette newspaper begins publication.
- 1836 - Morris Canal in operation.
- 1838 - City renamed "Jersey City."
- 1840 - City becomes part of Hudson County.
- Jersey City Telegraph newspaper begins publication.
- Dixon Mills and Colgate & Company soap factory built.
- 1850 - Population: 6,856.
- 1851 - Van Vorst Township becomes part of city.
- 1853 - Grace Church Van Vorst built.
- 1856 - Taylor's Hotel in business.
- 1860 - Population: 29,227.
- 1862 - Breusing florists in business.
- Lincoln Association founded.
- Evening Journal newspaper begins publication.
- Hudson County Volksblatt German-language newspaper begins publication (approximate date).
- Hudson City Savings Bank established.
- 1869 - Bruckner's Variety Store in business.
- 1872 - Law Library Association founded.
- 1873 - Greenville becomes part of Jersey City.
- Abbatoir and stockyards in operation.
- Jersey City Drug and Spice Mills in business.
- Aesthetic Society formed.
- Centennial of American independence.
- 1887 - Pavonia Terminal opens.
- Free Public Library established.
- Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal built.
- 1890 - Population: 163,003.
- Svoboda Ukrainian-language newspaper begins publication.
- Hasbrouck Institute opens.
- Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company Warehouse built.
- Population: 206,433.
- Little Russian Greek Catholic Church of St. Peter and Paul built.
- American Type Founders headquartered in city.
- 1904 - People's Palace established.
- 1905 - West Side Park opens.
- 1906 - Colgate Clock installed.
- 1907 - Block Drug Company established.
- 1908 - Głos Narodu Polish-language newspaper in publication (approximate date).
- 1909 - Hudson Tubes begin operating to Manhattan.
- 1910 - Population: 267,779.
- 1912 - Lincoln High School established.
- 1922 - Hudson Jewish News begins publication.
- Journal Square laid out.
- Mary Teresa Norton becomes U.S. representative for New Jersey's 12th congressional district.
- 1927 - Holland Tunnel opens to Lower Manhattan.
- 1929 - New Jersey State Normal School at Jersey City and Loew's Jersey Theatre opens.
- 1930 - Population: 316,715.
- 1937 - Jersey City Giants baseball team formed.
- 1951 - Carpathian Star newspaper begins publication.
- 1974 - Hudson County Community College established.
- Novyĭ Amerikanets Russian-language newspaper begins publication.
- Population: 223,532.
- 1986 - Manila Times East newspaper begins publication.
- 1988 - Sister city relationship established with Cusco, Peru.
- 1990 - Population: 228,537.
- 1991 - Govinda Sanskar Kendra Center active (approximate date).
- 1994 - Sister city relationships established with Ahmedabad, India and Nantong, China.
- 1995 - Sister city relationship established with Ozamiz, Philippines.
- Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy established.
- Sister city relationship established with Sant'Arsenio, Italy.
- 2000 - Population: 240,055.
- Jersey City Museum opens.
- Sister city relationship established with Kolkata, India.
- 2002 - Sister city relationship established with Saint John's, Antigua.
- November: Jerramiah T. Healy elected mayor.
- Sister city relationship established with San Martín del Rey Aurelio, Spain.
- 2005 - New Jersey Arya Samaj Mandir Humanitarian Mission headquartered in city.
- 2008 - Sister city relationship established with Rosario, Argentina.
- 2010 - Population: 247,597.
- 2011 - Golden Door Film Festival begins.
- 2013 - Steven Fulop becomes mayor.
Timeline of Jersey City, New Jersey Facts for Kids. Homework Help - Kiddle Encyclopedia.