Wes Magee facts for kids
Wes Magee is a poet and children's author who was born in Greenock, Scotland in July, 1939. One of his most well known works is the poem "Windows". He has published 6 collections of poetry for adults, and more than 90 books for children including poetry, fiction, plays, picture books, and anthologies. He now lives in the hamlet of Thorgill, on the North Yorkshire Moors.
Awards and accolades
- Urban Gorilla, a collection for adults, won the New Poets Award in 1972.
- The Blackstaff Collection No Man's Land was a recommendation of the Poetry Book Society in 1978.
- The Very Best of Wes Magee, a selection of poems for children, won the Award of the Children's Poetry Bookshelf in 2002.
- Poetry Introduction 2 (Faber & Faber 1970)
- Urban Gorilla (Leeds University Press 1971)
- No Man's Land (Blackstaff Press 1978)
- Oliver, the Daring Birdman (Longmans 1978)
- A Dark Age (Blackstaff Press 1981)
- Morning Break and Other Poems (Cambridge University Press 1989)
- The Witch's Brew and Other Poems (Cambridge University Press 1989)
- Flesh or Money (Littlewood/Arc 1990)
- The Puffin Book of Christmas Poems - Editor (Puffin 1990)
- The Snowgirl and the Snowboy (Ginn 1994)
- The Dogs, the Cats, and the Mice (Ginn 1998)
- The Very Best of Wes Magee (Macmillan 2001)
- The Boneyard Rap and Other Poems (Hodder Wayland 2001)
- The Phantom's Fang-Tastic Show (Oxford University Press 2001)
- The Winterworld War (Barrington Stoke 2002)
- Starfall (The Happy Dragons' Press 2005)
New collections of poems for adults, Joyriding! (Salt Publishing) and A Thorgill Year (The Happy Dragons' Press) have been announced.
Wes Magee performs poetry shows in schools around the UK.The tours have also included Germany, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and Guernsey and he was a visiting Professor at Rollins College, Florida and Kuwait.
Poems for children have been featured in the Cbeebies series Poetry Pie.
Wes Magee Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.