2018 Northern Cyprus parliamentary election facts for kids
The 2018 Northern Cyprus parliamentary election was held on 7 January 2018. It was held to elect the 50 members of the Assembly of the Republic.
The election was a victory for the National Unity Party and other right-wing parties.
- Republican Turkish Party (CTP): led by Tufan Erhürman. This party supports Cyprus reunification and social democracy.
- National Unity Party (UBP): led by Hüseyin Özgürgün. This party is nationalistic and conservative.
- Democratic Party (DP): led by Serdar Denktaş son of Rauf Denktaş. This party is nationalistic and conservative.
- Communal Democracy Party (TDP): led by Cemal Özyiğit. This party supports Cyprus reunification and social democracy.
- People's Party (HP): led by Kudret Özersay. This party supports Cyprus reunification and is centrist.
- Rebirth Party (YDP): led by Erhan Arıklı. This party is nationalistic.
- Communal Liberation Party-New Forces (TKP-YG): led by Mehmet Çakıcı. This party supports Cyprus reunification and social democracy.
The United Cyprus Party (BKP) was in an alliance with the TKP-YG. As such, BKP members ran for Parliament under the TKP-YG name. The New Cyprus Party refused to join the alliance.
|National Unity Party||1,907,030||35.6%||21||+7|
|Republican Turkish Party||1,121,478||20.9%||12||–9|
|Communal Democracy Party||463,081||8.6%||3||+1|
|Communal Liberation Party-New Forces||143,645||2.7%||0||0|
|Nationalist Democracy Party||7,083||0.1%||0||new|
2018 Northern Cyprus parliamentary election Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.