Balk facts for kids
A balk is something that a pitcher does in baseball that is not allowed, or illegal. If a balk happens the umpire will point to the pitcher and yell "balk", and the runners on base get to move up one base. If there are no runners on base, a ball is issued to the batter.
Some ways a balk can happen include;
- The pitcher faking a pitch
- The pitcher throwing the ball to a base where there is no runner.
- Pitching the ball before everyone is ready
- The pitcher takes too long to pitch
- If the pitcher drops the ball, even if he didn't mean too
There are other ways it can happen, but these are the main ones.
Images for kids
Bob Shaw holds the major league record for most balks in a single game, five.
Balk Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.