Battalion facts for kids
A battalion is a military unit of around 500-1500 men often made up of from two to seven companies and often commanded by a Lieutenant Colonel. More than one battalions often make up a regiment or a brigade.
Important people in a battalion headquarters include:
- Commanding Officer (CO) (always a Lieutenant Colonel or even a full Colonel)
- Second-in-Command (2i/c) (often a Major or a lieutenant Colonel if the battalion is commanded by a full Colonel)
- Adjutant (a Captain or a Major)
- Quartermaster (QM) (a Captain or a Major)
- Regimental Medical Officer (RMO) (Army Medical Services a Captain or a Major)
- Regimental Administrative Officer (RAO) (Adjutant General's Corps a Captain or a Major)
- Padre (Royal Army Chaplains Department a Chaplain)
- Regimental Intelligence Officer (RIO) (a Lieutenant or a Captain)
- Regimental Signals Officer (RSO) (Royal Corps of Signals a Lieutenant or a Captain)
- Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) (a Warrant Officer Class 1)
- Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant (RQMS) (a Warrant Officer Class 2)
Images for kids
Battalion Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.