Burnham, New Zealand facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsBurnham Camp
|Burnham, New Zealand|
|Owner||New Zealand Defence Force|
|Controlled by||New Zealand Army|
|Garrison||New Zealand Army|
Burnham, also known as Burnham Camp, is the largest army base in New Zealand's South Island. It is located 28 kilometres south of Christchurch on the Canterbury Plains in the Selwyn District, close to the town of Dunsandel. Burnham was named after Burnham Beeches, Buckinghamshire.
The senior headquarters at the camp has seen many changes. Previously Headquarters 3 Task Force, 3 Task Force Region, HQ Ready Reaction Force, and 3 Land Force Group have been based here. Most recently 3 Land Force Group was disbanded in 2011, and Headquarters Deployable Joint Task Force Headquarters - Land (DJTFHQ-L) was formed.
Units at the camp
Units at Burnham:
- 2nd/1st Battalion Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment (Light Infantry)
- 3 Field Troop (2 Engineer Regiment)
- 3 Emergency Response Troop (2 Engineer Regiment)
- 3 Signals Squadron Royal New Zealand Corps of Signals
- 3 Logistics Battalion (Royal New Zealand Army Logistic Regiment
- 3 Military Police Platoon (Royal New Zealand Military Police)
- Medical Treatment Centre (2HSB)
- Army Adventure Training Centre
- 3 Regional Training wing
- Health Services School (2HSB)
- Army Band
- DHS (NZ) (Defence Health School (NZ))
- Youth Development Unit (YDU)
Medical training for the entire NZDF is conducted in Burnham at the Defence Health School and all medics enlisted in the Army, Navy or Air Force are sent here for training. Medics initially complete a one year Diploma of Paramedic Science, followed by one and a half years on the Graduate Diploma of Health Science (Paramedicine). Practical training and clinical placements, both in hospital and on civilian ambulance are completed throughout. Medics are then posted to their respective camps or bases.
Burnham is also home to the Southern HQ of the New Zealand Cadet Forces (NZCF). They are the Air Training Corps (Air Force), Cadet Corps (Army), and Sea Cadet Corps (Navy).
Burnham, New Zealand Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.