Candy Gourlay facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Gourlay in 2013
|Born||Maria Cristina Lopez Quimpo
Davao City, Philippines
|Alma mater||Ateneo de Manila University, 1984
Saint Theresa's College of Quezon City, 1980
|Genre||Children's Books, Fiction, Middle Grade, Teen Novels, Young Adult|
|Notable works||Tall Story (2010), Shine (2013)|
|Notable awards||Crystal Kite Prize for Europe
National Children's Book Award of the Philippines
Crystal Kite Prize for Europe
Candy Gourlay (formerly Candy Quimpo) is a Filipino author based in the United Kingdom who has been shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal. Her debut novel Tall Story (2010) won the National Children's Book Award of the Philippines in 2012 and the Crystal Kite Award for Europe in 2011. Tall Story was shortlisted for 13 prizes, notably: the Waterstones Children's Book Prize, the Branford Boase Award, the Blue Peter Book Award and the UKLA Children's Book Prize. It was nominated for the Carnegie Medal. Her second novel Shine (2013) was longlisted for the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize and won the Crystal Kite Award for the British Isles in 2014. Bone Talk (2018) was shortlisted for the Costa Book Awards and the CILIP Carnegie Medal.
Candy Gourlay was born and raised in the Philippines. From 1984 to 1989, she worked as a journalist in the Philippines, notably as a staffwriter and later associate editor of the weekly opposition tabloid Mr & Ms Special Edition, which played a significant role in the overthrow of the 21 year regime of Filipino dictator Ferdinand Marcos.
- 1984 Staff Writer, Mr & Ms Special Edition (Manila)
- 1985 Associate Editor, Mr & Ms Special Edition (Manila)
- 1986 Desk Editor, Philippine Daily Inquirer (Manila)
- 1987 Correspondent, Asia Magazine (Manila)
- 1989 Staff Writer, Marketing Magazine (London)
- 1990 London Correspondent, Inter Press Service (London)
- 2005 Presenter and Writer, Motherless Nation, BBC Radio 4 documentary on the social impact of Philippine migration
- Hinabing Gunita (Woven Memories): Filipinos in the United Kingdom (London: Centre for Filipinos, 2004)
- Animal Tricksters (Oxford University Press, 2010) – "Oxford reading tree. Stage 10, Treetops myths and legends" .
- Tall Story (Oxford: David Fickling Books, 2010)
- Shine (David Fickling, 2013)
- Bone Talk (David Fickling, 2018)
Candy Gourlay Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.