Carrigaline Farmhouse Cheese facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsCarrigaline Farmhouse Cheese
|Country of origin||Ireland|
|Source of milk||Cows|
|Weight||150g, 200g, 400g round. 1kg and 1.8kg wheel|
|Aging time||best at 12 weeks or older|
Carrigaline Farmhouse Cheese is maker of semi-soft cheese made from cow's milk in Carrigaline, County Cork in Ireland. Pat and Anne O'Farrell have produced their cheeses on their farm in County Cork since 1988 using milk from their Friesian cow herd. Today, the O'Farrell family business has grown into a leading producer of artisan cheese found across all Irish retailers and beyond. The naturally smoked cheese has received numerous accolades in various international cheese awards.
It is a vegetarian cheese made with whole milk and vegetarian rennet, and is made into rounds of 150g, 200g and 400g, or wheels of 1 kg (2.2 lb) or 1.8 kg (4.0 lb). It is recommended to mature for 12 weeks before eating.
Carrigaline export approximately 20% of their cheese to Europe and the US, and their cheese is also sold domestically in supermarkets and independent retailers. They are certified by the BRC international standards and have received awards including bronze, silver and gold medals at the British Cheese Awards.
Carrigaline produce a variety of cheeses:
- Garlic and herbs
- Dillisk Seaweed
- 2003: Gold for low fat cheese in the British Cheese Award.
- 2006: Bronze for reduced fat cheese in the British Cheese Awards.
- 2007: Bronze for reduced fat in the British Cheese Awards.
- 2008: Gold for smoked cheese in the World Cheese Awards.
- 2008: Gold for smoked cheese in the British Cheese Awards.
- 2008: Silver for low fat cheese in the British Cheese Awards.
- 2008: Bronze for natural cheese in the British Cheese Awards.
- 2009: Gold in British Cheese Awards for smoked cheese.
- 2010: Gold in semi-soft smoked category with Carrigaline smoked in the British Cheese Awards.
- 2010: Gold in smoked cheese category in the World Cheese Awards.
- 2010: Bronze in World Cheese Awards for smoked cheese.
- 2010: Bronze in Irish Cheese Awards for smoked cheese.
- 2011: Bronze in Irish Cheese Awards for smoked cheese.
- 2013: Won Silver in Best of Irish cheese category in the International Cheese Awards for our original cheese.
- 2013: Bronze in Best Irish Cheese in the International Cheese Awards for smoked cheese.
Carrigaline Farmhouse Cheese Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.