Duke of Bedford facts for kids
The title of Duke of Bedford is a British title has been created several times and is today held by the Russell family since 1694. The heir to the title is usually given the title of "Marquess of Tavistock". The family seat is Woburn Abbey, Bedfordshire. The private mausoleum and chapel of the Russell Family and the Dukes of Bedford is at St. Michael’s Church in Chenies, Buckinghamshire. The family owns the Bedford Estate in central London. The duke is entitled to the style of address of His/Your Grace.
Dukes of Bedford, sixth Creation (1694)
- Other titles: Marquess of Tavistock (1694), Baron Howland (1695), Earl of Bedford (1551), Baron Russell (1538) and Baron Russell of Thornhaugh (1603)
- William Russell, 1st Duke of Bedford (1616–1700), was created Duke of Bedford in 1694, after the Glorious Revolution
- Wriothesley Russell, 2nd Duke of Bedford (1680–1711), only son of Rt. Hon. William Russell, Lord Russell (whose attainder had been reversed in 1688)
- Wriothesley Russell, 3rd Duke of Bedford (1708–1732), third son of the 2nd Duke, died without issue
- John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford (1710–1771), fourth and youngest son of the 2nd Duke
- Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford (1765–1802), eldest son of Lord Tavistock, died without issue
- John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford (1766–1839), second son of Lord Tavistock
- Francis Russell, 7th Duke of Bedford (1788–1861), eldest son of the 6th Duke
- William Russell, 8th Duke of Bedford (1809–1872), only son of the 7th Duke, died unmarried
- Francis Charles Hastings Russell, 9th Duke of Bedford (1819–1891), eldest son of Maj.-Gen. Lord George Russell, second son of the 6th Duke
- George William Francis Sackville Russell, 10th Duke of Bedford (1852–1893), eldest son of the 9th Duke, died without children
- Herbrand Arthur Russell, 11th Duke of Bedford (1858–1940), second son of the 9th Duke
- Hastings William Sackville Russell, 12th Duke of Bedford (1888–1953), only son of the 11th Duke
- John Ian Robert Russell, 13th Duke of Bedford (1917–2002), eldest son of the 12th Duke
- Henry Robin Ian Russell, 14th Duke of Bedford (1940–2003), eldest son of the 13th Duke
- Andrew Ian Henry Russell, 15th Duke of Bedford (b. 1962), eldest son of the 14th Duke
The heir apparent is the present holder's only son Henry Robin Charles Russell, Marquess of Tavistock (b. 2005).
Images for kids
Duke of Bedford Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.