Fair ball facts for kids
- settles on fair ground between home and first base, or between home and third base; or
- is on or over fair territory when bounding past first or third base; or
- touches first, second, or third base, which are all in fair territory; or
- touches the body of an umpire or player while the ball is on or over fair territory (unless it touches the batter in the batter's box, or bounces off the ground and immediately hits the bat); or
- passes out of the playing field in flight while over fair territory, or touches any part of the foul pole, including any attached screen, while in flight; or
- strikes any object for which the ballpark specifies that a batted ball which strikes it is a fair ball (e.g., a roof if present)
Fair ball Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.