Glossary of baseball (Y) facts for kids
- A curveball with a big break.
- To pull a fair ball down the foul line. "Damian Miller then yanked a double just inside the third-base bag and down the line, scoring both runners."
- The baseball field. A home run has "left the yard", and whoever hit it went yard. "Doing yardwork" is hitting many home runs or otherwise exhibiting power.
- A sharp-breaking curveball. Named after the yellowhammer, a bird that dives steeply to catch prey.
- A condition in which a player, usually a pitcher, loses control over the direction of his throws. "Rick Ankiel was transitioned to a position player due to developing a case of the yips on the mound."
Glossary of baseball (Y) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.