Greenville (town), New York facts for kids
|Greenville, Greene County,
Location in Greene County and the state of New York
|• Total||39.1 sq mi (101 km2)|
|• Land||38.9 sq mi (101 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (1 km2)|
|• Density||95.63/sq mi (36.92/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
The area of the town was first settled around 1774. The town was established in 1803 as "Greenfield" from the towns of Coxsackie and Durham. It briefly changed its name to "Freehold" and assumed the name "Greenville" in 1808.
In 1810, the town population was 2,300, but by 1900 it had fallen to 1,362.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 39.1 square miles (101.3 km²), of which 38.9 square miles (100.8 km²) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km², or 0.49%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,316 people, 1,345 households, and 918 families residing in the town. The population density was 85.2 people per square mile (32.9/km²). There were 1,694 housing units at an average density of 43.5 per square mile (16.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.95% White, 0.48% Black or African American, 0.15% Native American, 1.15% Asian, 0.27% from other races, and 1.00% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.63% of the population.
There were 1,345 households out of which 30.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.5% were married couples living together, 9.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.7% were non-families. 26.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the town, the population was spread out with 25.1% under the age of 18, 5.4% from 18 to 24, 26.3% from 25 to 44, 25.0% from 45 to 64, and 18.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 95.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $38,423, and the median income for a family was $45,880. Males had a median income of $35,217 versus $25,216 for females. The per capita income for the town was $19,113. About 6.2% of families and 8.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.7% of those under age 18 and 6.3% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Greenville
- East Greenville – A hamlet east of Greenville hamlet on Route 26.
- Freehold – A hamlet by the south town line.
- Gayhead – A hamlet at the east town line.
- Greenville – A hamlet and census-designated place.
- Greenville Center – A hamlet southeast of Greenville hamlet.
- Newrys – A hamlet by the north town line.
- Norton Hill – A hamlet west of West Greenville on Route 81.
- O'Hara's Corner – A location south of Norton Hill.
- Place Corners – A location south of Greenville Center.
- Result – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town.
- Sanfords Corner – A location south of East Greenville.
- Surprise – A hamlet near the east town line.
- West Greenville – A hamlet west of Greenville hamlet on Route 81.
Greenville (town), New York Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.