Interborough Rapid Transit Company facts for kids
The Interborough Rapid Transit Company (IRT) was the first operator of the original underground New York City Subway line that opened in 1904, as well as other earlier railways and rapid transit lines in New York City. The company was bought by New York City in June 1940. The former IRT lines (the numbered lines in the current subway system) are now the A Division or IRT Division of the Subway.
The following services are or were part of the IRT or MTA IRT Division:
- Line 1: Seventh Avenue Local
- Line 2: Seventh Avenue Express
- Line 3: Seventh Avenue Express
- Line 4: Lexington Avenue Express
- Line 5: Lexington Avenue Express
- Line 6: Lexington Avenue Local
- Line 7: Flushing Express and Local
- Line S: 42nd Street Shuttle
Images for kids
An old IRT sign remains at Wall Street station.
All content from Kiddle encyclopedia articles (including the article images and facts) can be freely used under Attribution-ShareAlike license, unless stated otherwise. Cite this article:Interborough Rapid Transit Company Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.