John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin facts for kids
|(John Paul II) Catholic University of Lublin|
|Katolicki Uniwersytet Lubelski Jana Pawła II|
|Latin: Universitas Catholica Lublinensis Ioannis Pauli II|
|Established||27 July 1918|
|Type||Private Catholic university|
Catholic University of Lublin is located in Lublin, Poland. Presently it has an enrollment of over 19,000 students. It has eight faculties: Theology, Philosophy, Law, Canon Law and Administration, Social Sciences, Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Humanities, Legal and Economic Sciences in Tomaszów Lubelski, Social Sciences in Stalowa Wola. It is the only private college in Poland with the status of a "university".
The Institute of English Studies at the John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin offers courses connected with Celtic cultures and languages as part of BA and MA courses in the Department of Celtic Studies. The Department was founded in 1989.
A student of Celtic Studies can choose between courses in Old English, Celtic History and Culture, Celtic Linguistics, and Irish and Welsh Literatures. BA students may opt for learning Irish and Welsh. There are also Celtic Days that have been taking place since 2004. The event has two parts, namely the academic (lectures, presentations, language workshops), and the artistic one (dance workshops, concerts).
Notable alumni and professors
- Pope John Paul II (Karol Wojtyła), the most famous person associated with the university
- Stefan Wyszyński, Cardinal Primate of Poland
- Michał Heller, priest, academic and philosopher, awarded with Templeton Prize in 2008
- Józef Życiński, priest, academic
- Edward Stachura, poet and writer
- Janusz Krupski, historian
- Janusz Palikot, politician, activist and businessman
- Wojciech Siemion, stage and film actor
- Józef Milik, priest, Bible scholar
- Jerzy Popiełuszko, a Polish Roman Catholic priest whowas recognized as a martyr by the Roman Catholic Church, and was beatified on 6 June 2010
- Jerzy Kłoczowski, one of the greatest Polish historians of the 20th century
- Bogdan Borusewicz, politician, senator, communist dissident, Marshal of the Senate
- Kazimierz Nycz, priest, Roman Catholic Cardinal, Archbishop of Warsaw
Images for kids
John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.