Josephine Daskam Bacon facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Josephine Daskam Bacon
February 17, 1876|
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
|Died||July 29, 1961
Tannersville, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Novelist, short story writer|
Josephine Dodge Daskam, Mrs. Selden Bacon (February 17, 1876 – July 29, 1961) was an American writer of great versatility. She is chiefly known as a writer who made the point of having female protagonists.
Josephine Dodge Daskam was born on February 17, 1876 in Stamford, Connecticut to Anne (Loring) and Horace Sawyer Daskam. She wrote a series of juvenile mysteries, as well as works dealing with more serious themes. She published books of poetry, which were well received by critics; as noted by one critic, some of her poetry was set to music. She was published under the name "Josephine Daskam".
She also wrote on women's issues and women's roles as well. She was a pioneer in the Girl Scouts movement and compiled the guidebook used by that organization.
Bacon graduated from Smith College in 1898. She published a collection of ten short stories inspired by her experiences in 1900, intending "to deepen...the rapidly growing conviction that the college girl is very much like any other girl."
In 1903, Josephine Daskam wed Selden Bacon, a lawyer. The couple had three children: Anne, Deborah, and Selden Jr.
Josephine Daskam Bacon died in 1961, aged 85. She was interred in All Souls Onteora Park Church Cemetery, Hunter, Greene County, New York.
List of works
- Smith College Stories (1900)
- Sister's Vocation, and Other Girls' Stories (1900)
- The Imp and the Angel (1901)
- Fables for the Fair (1901)
- The Best Nonsense Verses (ed) (1901)
- Whom the Gods Destroyed (1902)
- The Madness of Philip (1902)
- Poems (1903)
- Middle Aged Love Stories (1903)
- Her Fiancé (1904)
- Memoirs of a Baby (1904)
- The Imp and the Angel (1907)
- The Domestic Adventurers (1907)
- An Idyll of All Fool's Day (1908)
- Ten to Seventeen (1908)
- Margarita's Soul (1909)
- In the Border Country (1909)
- The Biography of a Boy (1910)
- While Caroline Was Growing (1911)
- The Inheritance (1912)
- The Strange Cases of Dr Stanchon (1913)
- The Luck o' Lady Joan (1913)
- To-day's Daughter (1914)
- Open Market (1915)
- Twilight of the Gods (1915)
- On Our Hill (1918)
- The Golden Eaglet (1918 movie)
- Square Peggy (1919)
- The Film of Fate (1919)
- Blind Cupid (1923)
- Truth o' Women (1923)
- Medusa's Head (1926)
- Counterpoint (1927)
- The Luck of Lowry (1931)
- Kathy (1933)
- The Girl at the Window (1934)
- The Room on The Roof (1935)
- Cassie-on-the-Job (1936)
- The House by the Road (1937)
- The Root and the Flower (1939]
- The Door in the Closet (1940)
- The World in/on His Heart (1941)
Josephine Daskam Bacon Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.