Kimberly Brubaker Bradley facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
|Born||Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Smith College (BA)|
|Notable awards||Newbery Honor
2016 The War That Saved My Life
Kimberly attended Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts and received a degree in chemistry in 1989. Bradley was always fascinated with chemistry, but when her sophomore roommate convinced her to take an Introduction to Children's Literature course, she immediately loved it. Her instructor, the Newbery medalist Patricia MacLachlan encouraged Bradley to continue writing and helped her learn more about writing for children.
During college, she began writing by working as a freelance writer for equestrian magazines. Bradley's knowledge of horses influenced some of her children's literature, such as the award-winning The War That Saved My Life. After college, Bradley married her high school sweetheart, Bart Bradley. While he attended medical school, she worked primarily as a research chemist, while still writing as a part-time editor for equestrian magazines and creatively whenever she could.
Bradley currently lives with her husband and two children on a 52-acre farm in Bristol on the Tennessee/Virginia border in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.
Her first novel, Ruthie's Gift, was published in 1998 and she has continued to publish 17 books catered to children and young adults. She has won numerous awards for her stories as well as many other literary honors. Bradley has published 17 books, which have won various awards and honors.
Awards and Honors
- 1998 Publisher's Week “Flying Start” Award for Ruthie's Gift
- 2011 Kirkus Reviews Best Children's Books of 2011 for Jefferson's Sons: A Founding Father's Secret Children
- 2012 ALA Notable Children's Book for Jefferson's Sons: A Founding Father's Secret Children
- 2012 NCSS Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People for Jefferson's Sons: A Founding Father's Secret Children
- 2016 Newbery Honor for The War That Saved My Life
- 2016 Schneider Family Book Award for The War That Saved My Life
- 2016 #1 New York Times bestseller for The War That Saved My Life
- 2020 Kirkus Prize Finalist for Fighting Words
- 2021 Newberry Honor for Fighting Words
- Fighting Words (2020)
- The War I Finally Won (2017)
- The War That Saved My Life (2015)
- Jefferson's Sons: A Founding Father's Secret Children (2013)
- The Lacemaker and the Princess (2007)
- Leap of Faith (2007)
- The Perfect Pony (2007)
- Ballerino Nate (2006)
- For Freedom: The Story of A French Spy (2005)
- The President's Daughter (2004)
- Favorite Things (2003)
- Halfway to the Sky (2002)
- Weaver's Daughter (2000)
- One-of-a-Kind Mallie (1999)
- Ruthie's Gift (1998)
Kimberly Brubaker Bradley Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.