Letsie III facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsLetsie III
|King of Lesotho|
|Reign||7 February 1996 – present|
|Coronation||31 October 1997|
|Heir apparent||Lerotholi Seeiso|
|Reign||12 November 1990 – 25 January 1995|
|Born||17 July 1963
Scott Hospital, Morija, Basutoland (now Lesotho)
Anna Motšoeneng (m. 2000)
|Princess Senate Seeiso
Princess 'Maseeiso Seeiso
Prince Lerotholi Seeiso
Letsie III (born David Mohato Bereng Seeiso; 17 July 1963) is King of Lesotho. He succeeded his father, Moshoeshoe II, when the latter was forced into exile in 1990. His father was briefly restored in 1995 but soon died in a car crash in early 1996, and Letsie became king again. As a constitutional monarch, most of King Letsie's duties as monarch of Lesotho are ceremonial. In 2000, he declared HIV/AIDS in Lesotho to be a natural disaster, prompting immediate national and international response to the epidemic.
He was educated in the United Kingdom at Ampleforth College. From there he went on to study at the National University of Lesotho where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Law. He then went on to study at the University of Bristol (Diploma in English Legal Studies, 1986), Wolfson College, Cambridge (Development Studies, 1989), and Wye College (Agricultural Economics). He completed his studies in 1989, when he returned to Lesotho.
He was installed as the Principal Chief of Matsieng on 16 December 1989.
His coronation took place on 31 October 1997 at Setsoto Stadium. Charles, Prince of Wales attended the ceremony.
Marriage and children
King Letsie married in 2000 to Karabo Motšoeneng, with whom he has two daughters and one son:
- Princess Mary Senate Mohato Seeiso, born 7 October 2001 at Maseru Private Hospital in Maseru.
- Princess 'Maseeiso Mohato Seeiso, born 20 November 2004 in Maseru.
- Prince Lerotholi David Mohato Bereng Seeiso, born 18 April 2007 in Maseru.
- Patron of the Prince Mohato Award (Khau ea Khosana Mohato).
- Lesotho : Grand Master of the Most Dignified Order of Moshoeshoe.
- Lesotho : Grand Master of the Most Courteous Order of Lesotho.
- Lesotho : Grand Master of the Most Meritorious Order of Mohlomi.
- Lesotho : Grand Master of the Most Loyal Order of Ramatseatsane.
- Lesotho : Outstanding Service Medal.
- Italy :
Letsie III Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.