National Bank of Georgia facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsNational Bank of Georgia
საქართველოს ეროვნული ბანკი
|Headquarters||Tbilisi Public Service Hall|
|Central bank of||Georgia|
|ISO 4217 Code||GEL|
|Reserves||4 116 million USD|
|Base borrowing rate||7.5%|
Georgia's first central bank was established in 1919. In its current form the bank has existed since 1991. According to the Constitution of Georgia, it is independent of state control, and is tasked with ensuring price stability.
Constitution of Georgia
- 1.The National Bank of Georgia shall ensure the functioning of the monetary system of Georgia to provide the price stability and supports the financial sector’s efficient functioning
- 2.The National Bank is the bank of all banks, and the banker and fiscal agent of the Georgian Government.
- 3.The National Bank shall be independent in its activities. Its rights and obligations, procedures of activities, as well as guarantee of its independence shall be determined under the Organic law.
- 4.The name and unit of money shall be determined by law. The National Bank shall have the sole right to issue money.
- 1.The highest body of the National Bank of Georgia is the Council of the National Bank, whose members shall be approved by the Parliament, by the majority of the total number of deputies upon the nomination of the President, for the period of seven years. The members of the Council may be dismissed only upon the decision of the Parliament, in accord with Article 64 of this Constitution.
- 2.The President of the National Bank shall be appointed from the Council members, and relieved of his/her duties by the President of Georgia, upon the nomination of the Council of the National Bank.
- 3.The National Bank shall be accountable to the Parliament and submit a report on its activities on the annual basis.
National Bank of Georgia Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.