Queenscliffe Historical Museum facts for kids
The Queenscliffe Historical Museum is a regional cultural history museum in the town of Queenscliff, Victoria, Australia. The museum is part of the Museum Accreditation Program (MAP) and is managed by Museums Australia (Victoria).
The museum opened in 1974, specifically to house socially historical materials peculiar to the Borough of Queenscliffe (which includes Queenscliff, Point Lonsdale and Swan Island). The museum is home to many thousands of items including photographs, documents, paintings, newspapers, toys, and also a display of shipwreck relics recognised by Heritage Victoria.
A proposal and request for funding for the Queenscliff Cultural Hub that would combine the museum, Queenscliff Library, and Visitor Centre has been submitted.
The museum is managed by volunteers, including their president who was awarded an OAM in 2017
Main permanent exhibits
The main permanent exhibits include
- People & Place: buildings, land owners, settlers, seascapes, streets, merchants
- Gov. Charles La Trobe: pioneers, house building, civic development, furnishings, domestic style
- Mayor D.J Williams: governance, Borough of Queenscliffe, community
- Coastal Life: beach scenes, lighthouses, boating, shopping, fishing, sea bathing, defence
- Shipwrecks: rip hazards, navigation, salvage, personal bravery
- Buildings: streetscapes, hotels, shops, piers, schools, churches, houses
- Holidays: guesthouses, entertainment, holiday homes, paddle steamers
- Personal Items: spectacles, sewing kits, purses, medals
Monthly Talks are held on the last Thursday of every month at the Queenscliff Uniting Church Hall. Topics range from significant people, places and events in the Borough of Queenscliffe and are presented by local historians.
History Week is in conjunction with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria the Queenscliffe Historical Museum participates in History Week. Events throughout the week in October range from guided tours, guest speakers and film showings
The museum's archive can be accessed by the public. The database houses thousands of documents, photographs and records of people, buildings and events.
- Celebrating History... Items from the Queenscliffe Historical Museum Collection
- The museum's 50th anniversary book was launched on 15 October 2017 by the Honorable Ted Ballieu
Queenscliffe Historical Museum Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.