kids encyclopedia robot

Registered Aboriginal Party facts for kids

Kids Encyclopedia Facts

St Georges Road Aboriginal history mural
Aboriginal mural at Aborigines Advancement League on St Georges Road Thirnbury, Victoria, Australia

A Registered Aboriginal Party (RAP) is a recognised representative body of an Aboriginal Australian people per the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006. These bodies act as the "primary guardians, keepers and knowledge holders of Aboriginal cultural heritage". They protect and manage the Aboriginal cultural heritage in Victoria, Australia.

Registered Aboriginal Parties in Victoria are the approximate equivalent to Aboriginal land councils in the other states and the Northern Territory.

Registered Aboriginal Parties

Map Victoria Aboriginal tribes (colourmap)
Map of Aboriginal nations in Victoria
Aboriginal art Grampians
Aboriginal painting in Grampians National Park in Victoria, Australia

Aboriginal people apply to the Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Council (VAHC), who determines which applicants will be registered as Registered Aboriginal Parties (RAPs).

As of March 2020, current registered parties are:

  • Barengi Gadjin Land Council Aboriginal Corporation
  • Bunurong Land Council Aboriginal Corporation
  • Dja Dja Wurrung Clans Aboriginal Corporation
  • Eastern Maar Aboriginal Corporation
  • First People of the Millewa Mallee Aboriginal Corporation
  • Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation
  • Gunditj Mirring Traditional Owners Aboriginal Corporation
  • Taungurung Clans Aboriginal Corporation
  • Wathaurung Aboriginal Corporation
  • Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung Cultural Heritage Aboriginal Corporation (previously Wurundjeri Tribe Land and Compensation Cultural Heritage Council)
  • Yorta Yorta Nation Aboriginal Corporation

Aboriginal cultural heritage

According to the Department of Premier and Cabinet, "RAPs have responsibilities under the Act relating to the management of Aboriginal cultural heritage, including:

  • evaluating Cultural Heritage Management Plans
  • providing advice on applications for Cultural Heritage Permits
  • making decisions about Cultural Heritage Agreements
  • providing advice or application for interim or ongoing Protection Declarations"
kids search engine
Registered Aboriginal Party Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.