Sense facts for kids
There are several meanings of the word sense. This page is for disambiguation - there are more detailed articles on each meaning:
When a word has several meanings, one can refer to it as being used "in the sense of..." some context or other. In Simple English for instance we avoid using words in unusual senses.
The sensory system of animals
The human sensory system is usually said to have six senses:
- Hearing is the sense of sound that comes into our ears.
- Sight is the sense of seeing things with our eyes.
- Touch is the sense of feeling things with our skin.
- Taste is the sense of the flavor of things with our tongues
- Smell is the sense of smelling things with our noses.
- Kinesthetic sense is knowing where your whole body is and where it is not.
Sense in language
Sense in this context is the meaning conveyed by language.
The term "common sense" is thinking based on a wide experience of life. It used to mean practical wisdom. It has a long history of being used in politics, often to mean that some idea will be accepted or rejected because of human nature (what people are like).
Images for kids
Five senses and the respective sensory organs inherent among Homo sapiens
An allegory of five senses. Still Life by Pieter Claesz, 1623. The painting illustrates the senses through musical instruments, a compass, a book, food and drink, a mirror, incense and an open perfume bottle. The tortoise may be an illustration of touch or an allusion to the opposite (the tortoise isolating in its shell).
Sense Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.