Timeline of Virginia Beach, Virginia facts for kids
Prior to 20th century
|History of Virginia|
- 1607 - English colonists land on beach.
- 1639 - Lynnhaven Parish Church built.
- 1720 - Adam Thoroughgood House built (approximate date).
- 1736 - Old Donation Episcopal Church built.
- 1781 - September 5: Battle of the Chesapeake.
- 1810 - Francis Land House built (approximate date).
- 1879 - Cape Henry Lighthouse built.
- 1888 - Oceanfront Boardwalk built.
- 1891 - Norwegian ship Dictator wrecked offshore.
- 1900 - Population: 11,192.
- 1906 - Town of Virginia Beach incorporated.
- 1933 - Bayne Theatre opens (approximate date).
- 1935 - Cape Henry Memorial erected.
- 1952 - City of Virginia Beach incorporated.
- 1953 - August: Hurricane Barbara.
- 1960 - Population: 84,215.
- 1963 - City merges with Princess Anne County.
- 1964 - Chesapeake Bay Bridge–Tunnel opens.
- 1970 - Population: 172,106.
- 1980 - Population: 262,199.
- 1988 - Meyera E. Oberndorf becomes mayor.
- 1989 - Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art opens.
- 1990 - Population: 393,069.
- 1995 - Columbus Stadium cinema in business.
- 1997 - Strawbridge Marketplace cinema in business.
- 2000 - City website online (approximate date).[chronology citation needed]
- 2003 - Lynnhaven 18 cinema in business.
- 2009 - Will Sessoms becomes mayor.
- 2010 - Population: 437,994.
Timeline of Virginia Beach, Virginia Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.