Warsaw Convention facts for kids
distinguish the Warsaw Pact, which was a defence treaty between Eastern European nations
In particular, the Warsaw Convention has the following rules:
- carriers issue passenger tickets;
- carriers issue baggage checks for checked luggage;
- there is a limitation period of 2 years within which a claim must be brought (Article 29); and
- a carrier's liability is at least:
- 250,000 Francs or 16,600 Special Drawing Rights (SDR) for personal injury;
- 17 SDR per kilogram for checked luggage and cargo,
- 5,000 Francs or 332 SDR for the hand luggage of a traveller.
The Montreal Convention, signed in 1999, will replace the Warsaw Convention system, once Montreal has been ratified by all states.
Warsaw Convention Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.