2017 Liberian general election facts for kids
Counties won in the second round
General elections were held in Liberia on 10 October 2017, electing the President and House of Representatives. No candidate won a majority in the first round of the presidential vote, so a run-off was held.
The elections are overseen by the National Elections Commission (NEC).
The run-off was held on 26 December. George Weah won the election with 62% of the vote.
Incumbent President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, in office since 2006, is constitutionally barred from running for a third term; the election will thus choose her successor.
- Joseph Boakai, Vice President since January 2006.
- George Weah, former footballer who was defeated by Ellen Johnson Sirleaf in the 2005 election, has announced he will run for office again.
Lost in first round
- Charles Brumskine, Leader of the Liberty Party and former President Pro Temp of the Senate
- MacDella Cooper, philanthropist
- Alexander B. Cummings, former Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer of Coca-Cola
- Prince Johnson, former rebel leader
- Joseph Mills Jones, leader of the Movement for Economic Empowerment and former Governor of the Central Bank of Liberia
- Richard Miller, businessman
- Benoni Urey, businessman
- MacDonald A. Wento, United People's Party
- Jeremiah Whapoe, businessman
|Liberia Holding Consortium||May 2017||275||29.45%||21.18%||N/A||11.26%||16%||0.72%||9.45%||N/A|
|Liberia Holding Consortium||June 2017||484||36.36%||18.38%||3.92%||4.75%||13.22%||0.82%||7.02%||13.01%|
|Liberia Holding Consortium||August 2017||763||33.81%||21.1%||2.88%||2.49%||12.45%||N/A||5.63%||13.63%|
|International Political Polls||August 2017||1,224||21.74%||24.73%||8.72%||6.38%||23.49%||N/A||9.55%||N/A|
- Second round:
2017 Liberian general election Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.