A Book of Giants facts for kids
First US edition
|Publisher||Methuen & Co. Ltd. (UK)
E. P. Dutton (US)
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
A Book of Giants is a 1963 anthology of 13 fairy tales from Europe that have been collected and retold by Ruth Manning-Sanders. It is one in a long series of such anthologies by Manning-Sanders. It was the first anthology to receive the familiar "A Book of..." title that Manning-Sanders would become notable for.
This book was first published in the United Kingdom in 1962, by Methuen & Co. Ltd. It has been used in schools as a study aid.
And in the foreword, Manning-Sanders discusses the long-ago roots of tales about giants: "The stories in this book are very old, and they come from many countries. We don't know who first told the story of Jack and the Beanstalk; but it has always been a favourite, and it used to be hawked around England in those little stitched-together pamphlets, called chapbooks, which travelling pedlars sold to the countryfolk for a penny or two each."
The author adds: "You will notice that the giants, wherever they come from, have one thing in common: they are all very stupid, and the way to overcome them is to use your wits."
Table of contents
- 1. Jack and the Beanstalk (England)
- 2. The Giant and the Dwarf (Georgia)
- 3. Fin M'Coul and Cucullin (Ireland)
- 4. Sneezy Snatcher and Sammy Small (Cornwall)
- 5. Hans, the Horn, and the Magic Sword (Jutland)
- 6. Jack the Giant-Killer (Cornwall)
- i. Jack and the Giant Cormoran
- ii. Jack and the Giant Tantarem
- iii. Jack and the Welsh Giant
- iv. Jack, the King of England's Son, and the Giant with Three Heads
- v. Jack and the Giant Thunderdell
- vi. Jack, the Giant Galligantua, and the Enchanter
- 7. King Johnny (Slavic)
- 8. Conall Yellowclaw (Ireland and Scotland)
- 9. The Giant in the Cave (Ireland and Scotland)
- 10. The Brave Little Tailor (Germany)
- 11. The Giant Who Had No Heart in His Body (Norse)
- 12. The Three Golden Hairs of the King of the Cave Giants (Germany)
- 13. Prince Loaf (Romania)
A Book of Giants Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.