Adikanda Mahanta facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|Died||13 January 2015
|Children||1 son, 1 daughter|
Adikanda Mahanta (Oriya: ଆଦିକନ୍ଦ ମହାନ୍ତ; born 8 May 1954) is an Indian folklorist from Chitrada, Odisha. He is one of the pioneer folklorists of Odisha and is well known for his research on folk culture of eastern India. He was awarded a doctoral degree from Ranchi university for his research work on the folk culture of Odisha for his research thesis "Odishara Kurmali Lokagita" (Kurmali Folk Songs of Orissa). Professionally, Mohanta is an S.I. of School, an employee of the Odisha state government.
Early life and education
Mahanta was born in the village of Chitrada, in Mayurbhanj district. His father was Shri Shiva Prasad Mohanta, and his mother was Satyabhama Mohanta. Adikanda Mahanta stood first class first in M.A. (Oriya) in 1982 from Ranchi University. Under the able guidance of Prasanna Kumar Pradhan, he was conferred and awarded with Doctor of Philosophy for his outstanding research on folk culture "Odishara Kurmali Loka gita" from Ranchi University in 1988.
He is also known in the state of Odisha for his contribution towards children's literature. His articles, prose and poetry get published in all Oriya monthly magazine and news papers. Poetry written by Dr. Mahanta is also part of school text books. Dr. Adikanda Mohanta has been working with Dr. Manindra Mohanty, Dr. Basanta Kishore Sahoo, with the organisation named "Research Institute for Oriya Children's Literature (RIOCL)", founded by Manindra Mohanty.
Name Of The Books Year Of Publication
- " Uttar Odishara Loka katha" 1985
- " Gapa suniba aasa " 1988
- " Satirtha galpa " 1991
- " Gyana tapaswi radhakrusnan " 1993
- " Tiring ringa " 1998
- " Kudmi loka katha " 1999
- " Odisha ra srestha adivasi loka katha" 1997
- " Kudmi janma sanskara " 2005
- " Karam katha " 2002
- " Kurmali loka katha o laka gita : samanya kathana" 2006
- " Kudmi biplabi neta " 2007
- " Chau Nrutya samanya kathana " 2007
- " Jhumar samikhya " 2006
- " Mayurbhanja ra lokabadya " 2007
- " Utara Odisha ra loka nrutya " 2008
- " Chheng gargar khapra pitha " 2006
- " Kudmi jati eka bihangabalokana " 2007
Awards and recognition
- " Kalingaratna Samman " Rajyapratibha o kalakar panjikarana sangha Phulnakhara Cuttack 2010
- Mayurbhaj Sahitya parisada rajat jayanti prabandhika samman 2008
- Rajyastrariya kruti sikhaka samman 2005
- Purulia Paschimbanga Lokasahitya samman 2001
- Saraswata baniputra samman "2001 "
- Jilastariya sebaka samiti Mayurbhanj samman 2000
- Banipitha Haldipada Mayurbhanj samman 1999
- Agami Satabdi Bhubaneswar jhumar gabesaka samman 1998
- Sri sri Jagannath Tatwasrom Udaybatu jagatsingpur samman 1998
- "Rasachhanda kendujhar samman" 1988
- "Sisu sahittika sammana" Kuwantara Bhubaneswar 1987
- "Kendujhar jillastariya sisu sahitya sansada samman" 1987
- "Kanakadurga Motimahal gadaradanga Puri samman" 1986
- "Bisubamilana sisu sahittika sammana Prajatantra prachar samiti Cuttack, Orissa" 1985
Books adopted by the Odisha state government
Books written by Dr. Adikanda Mahanta have been adopted by Culture Department of the Odisha state government.
1.Book Title " ODISHA RA SRASTA ADIBASI LOKA KATHA, PART-1", Author "Adikanda Mahanta", Publisher "BIDYA PRAKASHAN BALUBAZAR, CUTTACK-2", Edition - 3rd, Year of Publication - 2009.
2. Book Title "ITIHASARU SIKSHIBA AASA", Author "Adikanda Mahanta", Publisher "GOLDEN ORIOLE, GOUDAPATNA, AUL, KENDRAPARA-754219", Edition - 1st, Year of Publication - 2008.
Dr. Adikanda Mahanta have been working as an Editor-in-Chief for several books and magazines on Folk Culture and Folk Literature.
1. Editor in Chief : Lokasahitya "Pharua"from 1998 to 2002
2. Editor in Chief : "Kudmi Katha"from 1995 to 2008
3. Editor- in-chief : National Magazine : "Bandana", Publisher : Kudumi Cultural Society, Kendujhar, Odisha.
Recent notable works
1. ECOLOGICAL IDEOLOGIES IN TRIBAL FOLKLORE OF EASTERN INDIA by Adikanda Mahanta
Book : Forest government and tribe, Published by : New Delhi : Concept Pub. Co., 2007.
Author: Chittaranjan Kumar Paty; Tata College (Chaibasa, India). Dept. of History.; India. University Grants Commission. Eastern Regional Office.
2. FOLK TREATMENT SYSTEM OF TRIBAL SOCIETY IN EASTERN INDIA by Adikanda Mahanta
Book : Changing Tribal Life: A Socio-Philosophical Perspective
Author: Padmaja Sen
Publisher: Concept Publishing Company (p) Ltd. (2003) .
Adikanda Mahanta Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.