Alan Leo facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
William Frederick Allan
August 7, 1860
|Died||August 30, 1917
Alan Leo, born William Frederick Allan, (Westminster, 7 August 1860 – Bude, 30 August 1917), was a prominent British astrologer, author, publisher, astrological data collector and theosophist. He is often referred to as "the father of modern astrology".
His work stimulated a revival of astrology in the Western world after its decline at the end of the 17th century. Leo was a devout theosophist and he worked many of its religious concepts such as karma and reincarnation into his astrology. He used the Theosophical Society's vast international connections to publish, translate and disseminate his work across Europe and America.
Astrological technique and influence
Leo, who took the name of his sun-sign as a pseudonym, is credited with starting the movement towards a more psychologically-oriented horoscope analysis in astrology, being the first astrologer to argue for a loose interpretation of possible trends of experience rather than the specific prediction of events. His influence has been described as marking a 'turning point' in horoscope delineation, because, as astrological historian James Holden explains:
Thereafter, what has been more recently called "event-oriented" astrology gradually receded in favor of character analysis and vague descriptions of possible areas of psychological harmony or stress.
In 1890, Leo, invited George R.S. Mead to found an occult lodge in Brixton, South London. Towards the end of his life, in 1909, and again in 1911, Leo travelled with his wife to India where he studied Indian astrology. As a result of his studies in India, he later attempted to incorporate portions of Indian astrology into the western astrological model.
Leo's book The Art of Synthesis (1912) was a probable influence on Gustav Holst's work The Planets. In this book, Leo gave the planets descriptions such as "Mars the Energiser".
In 1915 Leo founded the Astrological Lodge of London.
- Today Horoscope In Marathi. YSK: Visit It, November 2019.
- The Astrologer's Magazine, edited by Alan Leo, Vol. IV (1894) Vol. V series 1895–.
- Today Horoscope In Marathi. YSK, November 2019
- How to Judge a Nativity. 2 vols. 1904. Reprint, London: Modern Astrology Office, 1928.
- Astrology for All series 1903–.
- The Progressed Horoscope. London: Fowler 1906.
- Horary Astrology. London: Modern Astrology Office, 1909.
- The Key to your own Nativity. London: Modern Astrology Office, 1910.
- The Art of Synthesis. Originally published 1912 as "How to Judge a Nativity" in the Astrology for All series. London: Fowler 1968.
- Casting the Horoscope. London: Modern Astrology Office, 1912.
- Esoteric Astrology, first published 1913. Destiny Books, Rochester, Vermont, 1989. ISBN: 0-89281-181-1
- Alan Leo's Dictionary of Astrology, edited and completed by Vivian E. Robson. London 1929.
- Publisher: L.N. Fowler & Co; 2nd edition (1917),ISBN: 978-0553234145
Alan Leo Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.