Angela Cartwright facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Cartwright, November 2005
Angela Margaret Cartwright
September 9, 1952
Altrincham, Cheshire, England
Steve Gullion (m. 1976)
|Relatives||Veronica Cartwright (sister)|
Angela Margaret Cartwright (born September 9, 1952) is an English-born American actress primarily known for her roles in movies and television. Cartwright became known in movies as a child actress for her role as Brigitta von Trapp in the film The Sound of Music (1965). On television, she played Linda Williams, the stepdaughter of Danny Williams (played by Danny Thomas) in the 1950s TV series The Danny Thomas Show, and Penny Robinson in the 1960s television series Lost in Space. Her older sister is actress Veronica Cartwright.
Early life and career
Angela Cartwright was born in Altrincham, Cheshire, England, in 1952. She made her first film appearance at the age of three years as Paul Newman's daughter in Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956), and appeared with Rock Hudson and Sidney Poitier in Something of Value (1957). After moving to the United States, Cartwright appeared for seven seasons in the CBS TV series The Danny Thomas Show, opposite comedian Danny Thomas. She remained close to Thomas after the series cancellation until his death on February 6, 1991.
Cartwright returned to Europe to play the role of Brigitta von Trapp in The Sound of Music (1965). Filmed on location, the film won five Academy Awards including Best Picture, the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy and eclipsed Gone with the Wind (1939) as the highest-grossing film of all-time. The Sound of Music soundtrack was nominated for a Grammy Award and is the longest-running Billboard Magazine Top 10 album in history at 109 weeks.
Returning to television, Cartwright played Penny Robinson in the TV series Lost in Space (1965–68). She made appearances on several TV shows, including My Three Sons, Adam-12, and The Love Boat. She was also cast in the television movies Scout's Honor (1980) and played the role of Miss D'Angelo in High School U.S.A. (1983). In her most recent feature film roles, she played Theresa Mazzetti in Beyond the Poseidon Adventure (1979), directed by Lost in Space producer Irwin Allen; and made a cameo appearance as Reporter #2 in the 1998 Lost in Space film.
Cartwright married Steve Gullion in 1976. They have two children.
She has been a photographer for 30 years. Her work is displayed at her studio in Studio City, Los Angeles.
A partial listing of Cartwright's appearances in movies and television appears below.
- 1956: Somebody Up There Likes Me as Audrey at Age 3 (uncredited)
- 1957: Something of Value as Caroline (uncredited)
- 1962: Lad, A Dog as Angela
- 1965: The Sound of Music as Brigitta von Trapp
- 1979: Beyond the Poseidon Adventure as Theresa Mazzetti
- 1998: Lost in Space as Reporter #2
- 2009: The Bolt Who Screwed Christmas (theatrical short) as Daughter (voice)
- 1957–1964: The Danny Thomas Show as Linda Williams
- 1958: The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour as Linda Williams
- 1958: Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse
- 1958: Whirlybirds as Susan Davis
- 1959: The Ford Show, Starring Tennessee Ernie Ford
- 1960: Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Ep. Letter of Credit as Irenee Wellington (uncredited)
- 1960: Shirley Temple's Storybook as Jane
- 1961: The Red Skelton Show as Herself
- 1965: The John Forsythe Show
- 1965–1968: Lost in Space as Penny Robinson / Princess Alpha
- 1965–1969: My Three Sons as Debbie Hunter / Alice Vail
- 1967: The Danny Thomas Hour as Linda Williams
- 1970–1971: Make Room for Granddaddy as Linda Williams
- 1971: Adam-12 as Cindy Williams
- 1972: Room 222 as Phyllis
- 1977: Logan's Run ("The Collectors") as Karen
- 1980: Scout's Honor (TV Movie) as Alfredo's Mom
- 1982: The Love Boat as Yanne
- 1983: High School U.S.A. (TV Movie) as Miss D'Angelo
- 1985: Airwolf as Mrs. Cranovich
Angela Cartwright Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.