Arc flash facts for kids
Arc flash is an accidental electrical explosion usually caused by a short circuit. It usually happens at higher-voltages (around 300 volts and above). It can cause the electrical conductors to melt creating an explosion of molten or even vaporized metal. Temperatures can be as high as 20000 degrees Celsius. Arc flash is one of the reasons it is so important to turn the power off before working on any high-voltage equipment.
Images for kids
An electric arc between two nails
Arc flash Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.