Arrondissements of the Hérault department facts for kids
There are 3 arrondissements in the Hérault department. The French departments, and in other countries, are divided into arrondissements, which may be translated into English as districts (in some cases, as boroughs). The capital of an arrondissement is called a subprefecture.
If the prefecture (capital) of the department is in an arrondissement, that prefecture is the capital of the arrondissement, acting both as a prefecture and as a subprefecture.
Arrondissements are further divided into communes.
The arrondissements of the Hérault are:
Since its creation, the Hérault department has had few changes:
- 1790 : creation of the department with four districts: Montpellier, Béziers, Lodève and Saint-Pons; the capital was Montpellier.
- 1800 : creation of four arrondissements: Montpellier, Béziers, Lodève and Saint-Pons.
- 1926 : the arrondissements of Lodève and Saint-Pons were eliminated.
- 1942 : Lodève became again an arrondissement.
- Arrondissement of Béziers
- Arrondissement of Lodève
- Arrondissement of Montpellier
- List of arrondissements of France
Images for kids
Arrondissements of the Hérault department Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.