Bas Haring facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|Born||23 April 1968|
Sebastiaan (Bas) Haring (Prof.dr. S. Haring) (born 23 April 1968 in De Bilt) is a Dutch writer of popular science and children's literature, television presenter and professor. He is a full professor at Leiden University, where he has held a chair in "public understanding of science" since 2007. He also hosted his own philosophical TV program for Dutch public broadcasting. In his work his aims are to make science more accessible to the general public. Haring tries to make others think about simple and complex issues. To make his questions, positions and points of view clear, he is known for using humor, personal stories, and analogies between animals, people and computers.
Haring first achieved prominence with his 2001 children's book Cheese and the Theory of Evolution in which he explained evolution and its implications. The book received several awards and has been translated into ten different languages. His book For a Successful Life was published in 2008 by Beautiful Books Limited (UK).
- Cheese and the Theory of Evolution (2001) (only available in Dutch, not in English)
- The Iron Will (2003)
- Media technology (2007)
- For a Successful Life: A Plea for the Unsuccessful Life (2008) (Beautiful Books Limited)
- The Aquarium of Walter Huijsmans (2009)
- Why? (2009)
- Falling Quarters. -A smart selection of readable science. (Along with Ionica Smeets, 2010)
- The Consciousness (2010)
- Plastic pandas (2011)
- Waarom cola duurder is dan melk (2016)
Bas Haring Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.