East Amherst, New York facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
NY 78 in East Amherst.
|Elevation||694.98 ft (211.83 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 Eastern Standard Time|
|Average Household Income||$113,750|
East Amherst is a suburban hamlet 16 miles (26 km) northeast of downtown Buffalo, Erie County, New York, United States. It straddles the towns of Amherst and Clarence, and comprises the majority of ZIP code 14051.
East Amherst is centered in an area originally known as "Transit Station", a name that has its origins in the railroad station of the New York Central "Peanut Line" that crossed Transit Road just north of Muegel Road. As its farmlands were developed into residential subdivisions, "East Amherst" began to emerge as the most frequently used name for the area.
In 2016, East Amherst was named the most affluent community in Western New York by Buffalo Business First. As of the 2010 United States Census, East Amherst had a population of 24,914 and 7,459 housing units. In 2005, East Amherst was recognized by CNN / Money Magazine as one of the Best Places to Live (41st Finalist) in the United States.
- Dave Andreychuk, NHL forward
- Scotty Bowman, Hall of Fame hockey coach
- John Koelmel, former CEO of First Niagara Bank
- Brooks Orpik, NHL hockey player
- Jason Pominville, NHL player
- Shane Sims, NHL defenseman
- Raymond Walter, New York State Assemblyman
- Connor Fields, Professional lacrosse player in the Premier Lacrosse League
East Amherst, New York Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.