Five Go to Billycock Hill facts for kids
|Illustrator||Eileen A. Soper|
|Series||The Famous Five series|
|Genre||Mystery, Adventure novel|
|Publisher||Hodder & Stoughton|
|Media type||Print (hardcover and paperback)|
|Preceded by||Five on a Secret Trail|
|Followed by||Five Get Into A Fix|
The Five are camping again, this time on Billycock Hill, which is near the farm of Toby, a boy who loved jokes and pranks. When Toby's cousin Jeff, a Royal Air Force pilot, and Jeff’s friend Ray fly off late on a stormy night with the newest aeroplanes, the Five and Toby are stunned. The media claims Jeff and Ray have flown away and drowned by the sea. Could Jeff really be a spy? The Five and Toby disagree – Jeff had always seemed to be a trustworthy man. Toby is, at this moment, also grieved that his cousin Jeff should ever so horribly die in the sea and drown like that, and the Five spent the rest of the day comforting Toby. As everyone scrambled through all the information they had, meanwhile they explored Billycock Caves. To the "Six's" shock, Jeff and Ray were shoved into one of the coves inside the honeycomb of caves! The Five and Toby rescue them, and the book resolves with the police visiting (a classic ending Enid Blyton would write).
- Julian – oldest of the Five
- Dick – brother to Julian
- Georgina (George) – cousin of Julian, Dick, and Anne, also a tomboy
- Anne – younger sister of Julian and Dick
- Timmy – George's faithful dog
- Toby – an amusing boy from Julian’s and Dick’s school
- Mrs Thomas – Toby’s mother, a kind and hard working farmer’s wife
- Mr Thomas – farmer and dad to Toby
- Benny – Toby’s smaller brother, a funny little boy who, in the book, says "runned" instead of "ran" (which struck the Five funny)
- Curly – a funny, curious pig belonging to Benny
- Jeff – Toby’s cousin, the pilot, who Toby is so proud of and brags about.
- Ray – another pilot who also vanishes
- Mr Gringle – the strange and absent-minded owner of the Butterfly Farm
- Mr Brent – business partner of Mr Gringle
- Will Janes – a criminal who lives at the Butterfly Farm. He used to do odd jobs before he made friends with the wrong folk
- Mrs Janes – a poor witch-like woman who was always under attack by her son Will Janes
The gamebook The Secret Airfield Game (1986) was based on this novel.
Five Go to Billycock Hill Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.