A genre (from Latin: genus) is a style or type of music, literature, movies, or other media.
Some genres (styles) are used in more than one form of art or communication. For example, the genres fantasy and science fiction are used in literature, movies, and television.
Examples of genres
- General: comedy, romance, mystery, science fiction
- Literary (written): fiction, non-fiction, young adult
- Movie genres: action movie, documentary, film noir
- Musical: rock and roll, hip hop, pop punk
- Comedy: black comedy, slapstick, commedia dell'arte
Genre Facts for Kids
. Kiddle Encyclopedia.