José Luís Peixoto facts for kids
José Luís Peixoto
José Luís Peixoto in Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México - UNAMl
|Born||September 4, 1974
Galveias, Ponte de Sor
|Occupation||Novelist, poet and playwright|
|Notable works||Morreste-me; Nenhum Olhar; Cemitério de Pianos", Livro, Dentro do Segredo, Galveias, Em Teu Ventre|
Prémio José Saramago (2001)
José Luís Marques Peixoto (born September 4, 1974) is one of Portugal's most acclaimed and bestselling contemporary novelists.
José Luis Peixoto was born in a small village from the south interior of Portugal, in the Portuguese region of Alentejo. He finished a degree on Modern Languages and Literature in the Universidade Nova de Lisboa. He was a teacher for some years in Portugal and in Cabo Verde before becoming a professional writer in 2001.
- Galveias - Prémio Oceanos 2016 (Best novel published in all Portuguese-speaking countries in 2015)
- Livro - Prémio Libro d'Europa 2013 (Best novel published in Europe in 2012)
- A Criança em Ruínas- Prémio da Sociedade Portuguesa de Autores 2013 (Best poetry book published in Portugal on the previous year)
- Gaveta de Papéis - Prémio de Poesia Daniel Faria 2008 (Best poetry book published in Portugal by a poet under 35 years old)
- Cemitério de Pianos - Prémio Cálamo 2007 (Best foreign novel published in Spain in 2007)
- Nenhum Olhar - Prémio Literário José Saramago 2001 (Best novel published in all Portuguese speaking countries on the two previous years)
'Peixoto is one of the most surprising revelations in recent Portuguese literature. I have no doubts that he is the safe promise of a great writer' – José Saramago
‘Peixoto has an extraordinary way of perceiving, conveyed in his original choices of language and imagery’ – Times Literary Supplement
“Splendidly demanding.... The images Peixoto evokes in helping his characters communicate without words are singular and unforgettable.” — San Francisco Chronicle"
“Peixoto offers an appealing addition to the genre of rural magical realism" — Kirkus Reviews
“You read and breathe as if you were downing a bottle of life in one gulp.” — Le Figaro
“Peixoto comes from the world of poetry and of the theatre. And this can be sensed here.” — Vogue Italia
His novels that are in English are Blank Gaze (UK title)/The Implacable Order of Things (US title) and The Piano Cemetery.
His works have been published in France, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey, Finland, Holland, Spain (Spanish and Catalan), Czech Republic, Croatia, Belarus, Brazil, United States, United Kingdom, and Hungary. His novels have been translated in a total of 20 languages.
Images for kids
José Luís Peixoto Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.