List of bridges in Ottawa facts for kids
Spanning the Ottawa River
Bridges spanning the Ottawa River from west to east:
- OCRR railway bridge
- Connects Vydon Acres to Pontiac-Station, Quebec near Chats Falls.
- Champlain Bridge
- Prince of Wales Bridge
- Chaudière Bridge
- Connects Booth Street in Lebreton Flats to Rue Eddy in Hull; Ottawa's oldest bridge.
- Portage Bridge
- Connects Wellington Street in Lebreton Flats to Boulevard Maisonneuve in Hull.
- Interprovincial (Alexandra) Bridge
- Connects St. Patrick Street and Murray Street in Lower Town to Boulevard des Allumettières in Hull.
- Macdonald-Cartier Bridge
- Connects King Edward Avenue in Lower Town to Autoroute de la Gatineau (Autoroute 5) in Hull.
Spanning the Rideau River
Bridges spanning the Rideau River from north to south:
- Sussex Drive
- Connects Lower Town and New Edinburgh via Sussex Drive
- Minto Bridges
- Connects King Edward Avenue in Lower Town to Union Street in New Edinburgh
- St. Patrick Bridge
- Connects St. Patrick Street in Lower Town to Beechwood Avenue in Vanier.
- Cummings Bridge
- Connects Rideau Street in Sandy Hill to Montreal Road in Vanier.
- Hurdman Bridge
- Connects Sandy Hill and Eastway Gardens via the Queensway, Highway 417.
- Pedestrian bridge
- Connects the University of Ottawa's Lees Avenue campus (formerly Algonquin College's Rideau Campus) in Ottawa East to Hurdman Park.
- Connects the Lees Transitway Station and Hurdman Transitway Station.
- George McIlraith Bridge
- Connects Main Street in Old Ottawa South to Smyth Road in Alta Vista.
- Billings Bridge
- Connects Old Ottawa South and Alta Vista via Bank Street.
- G. Dunbar Bridge
- Connects Carleton University and Riverside Park via Bronson Avenue.
- O-Train bridge
- Connects Carleton and Confederation stops
- Heron Road Bridge
- Connects Baseline Road in Courtland Park to Heron Road in Alta Vista. Also crosses the Rideau Canal.
- Hog's Back Road
- Connects Rideau View and Riverside Park via Hog's Back Road. Owned by the National Capital Commission. Also crosses over the Rideau Canal.
- Canadian Northern Ontario Railway Federal Bridge
- Connects the Merivale area to the Mooney's Bay neighbourhood.
- Michael J. E. Sheflin Bridge
- Connects Clearview to Airport-Uplands via Hunt Club Road.
- Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge (under construction)
- Planned completion date for 2012 and will connect Barrhaven and Riverside South via Strandherd Drive and Earl Armstrong Road.
- Nicolls Island Road
- Connects Nicolls Island to the mainland in Gloucester.
- Bridge Street
- Connects Bridge Street in Manotick to Mitch Owens Road in Osgoode.
- Regional Road 6
- Connects Roger Stevens Drive in Kars to Snake Island Road in Osgoode.
- Highway 416
- Connects Reevecraig to Sabourins Crossing
West Branch of the Rideau River
- Barnsdale Road
- Connects Nepean to Manotick
- Bridge Street
- Connects downtown Manotick to Long Island.
Spanning the Rideau Canal
Bridges spanning the Rideau Canal from north to south:
- Plaza Bridge
- Connects Wellington Street in Centretown to Rideau Street in the By Ward Market.
- Mackenzie King Bridge
- Connects Albert and Slater Streets in Centretown to Waller Street in Sandy Hill. The Transitway also uses this bridge.
- Laurier Bridge
- Connects Centretown and the University of Ottawa via Laurier Avenue.
- Corktown Footbridge
- Connects Centretown to Campus Transitway Station
- Connects The Glebe and Centretown with Old Ottawa East via Highway 417.
- Pretoria Bridge
- Connects Elgin Street in The Glebe with Hawthorne Avenue in Old Ottawa East. This is a Lift bridge.
- Bank Street Bridge
- Connects The Glebe and Old Ottawa South
- Bronson Bridge
- Connects The Glebe and Carleton University via Bronson Avenue
- Rail tunnel (just west of Dows Lake)
- Used by O-Train; connects Carleton and Carling stations
- Heron Road Bridge
- see above
- Hog's Back Bridge
- A swing bridge. Connects Riverside Drive and Prince of Wales Drive
Bridges not spanning the above water courses:
- Pooley's Bridge
- The oldest bridge entirely within Ottawa , spanning the tailrace in Lebreton Flats
- Somerset Street bridge  or (a.k.a. "O-Train Bridge" )
- Connects Somerset Street West over the O-Train tracks
Bridges carrying roads or pedestrian ways over or under Highways 417, Highway 416 and Ottawa Highway 174 ar not listed.
List of bridges in Ottawa Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.