Rydal, Pennsylvania facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Rydal Station, designed by architect Frank Furness
|Elevation||223 ft (68 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||215, 267 and 445|
Rydal is an unincorporated community in Abington Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Rydal is mainly residential except for one large shopping area. The Abington campus of Pennsylvania State University is located in Rydal. The Rydal train station was a stop on the Reading Railroad line beginning in the late 19th century and now is part of the SEPTA Regional Rail system on the West Trenton Line.
Old York Road Historical Society (OYRHS) maintains an archive of the history of the area. It reported that the Rydal Train Station was originally called "Benezet." However, the station and the area was renamed after Rydal and Keswick in the United Kingdom.
- Bradley Cooper – Actor and Germantown Academy alumnus grew up in Rydal
- George Hesselbacher – Former Major League baseball player died in Rydal
- Philip Edgcumbe Hughes – Anglican theologian lived in Rydal in his later years
- Larry Kane – Noted journalist and television anchor lives in Rydal
- Katalin Karikó – Hungarian biochemist and BioNTech senior vice president lives in Rydal
- Allyson Schwartz – Former U.S. Representative and gubernatorial candidate lives in Rydal
Rydal, Pennsylvania Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.