Saint Pierre River (Mirabel) facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsSaint Pierre River
|Regional County Municipality||Mirabel, sector "Saint-Janvier"|
|Main source||Mirabel, sector "Saint-Janvier"
72 m (236 ft)
45°43′00″N 73°57′25″W / 45.71667°N 73.95694°W
|River mouth||Mascouche River, Mascouche
51 m (167 ft)
46°43′49″N 73°52′11″W / 46.73028°N 73.86972°W
|Length||9.4 km (5.8 mi)|
The Saint-Pierre River is a tributary of the Mascouche River, flowing in the sector of "Saint-Janvier", in the city of Mirabel, in the region administrative Laurentides, in the southwest of Quebec at Canada.
This river runs eastwards an agricultural plain skirting the northern village of "Saint-Janvier".
Saint Pierre river rises between the Highway 15 and route 117, the northwest side of the village of Saint-Janvier. This source is located at:
- 5.9 kilometres (3.7 mi) north-east of the airport terminal to the Mirabel Airport;
- 14.6 kilometres (9.1 mi) north-west of rivière des Mille Îles;
- 6.6 kilometres (4.1 mi) west of the confluence of the Saint Pierre River.
Course of the river
From its source, the Saint-Pierre River flows on 9.4 kilometres (5.8 mi), according to the following segments:
- 0.8 kilometres (0.50 mi) north to the bridge of the route 117;
- 4.9 kilometres (3.0 mi) eastward, forming a detour to the north, up the road from "Côte Saint-Pierre";
- 3.7 kilometres (2.3 mi) to the south east, to the confluence of the river
The confluence of the Saint-Pierre River flows on the north bank of the Mascouche River, or 0.8 kilometres (0.50 mi) west of the city limits of Sainte-Thérèse-de-Blainville.
The place name "Rivière Saint-Pierre" is of Christian origin. Two tributaries of the north bank of the Mascouche River are designated "Saint-Pierre River."
The place name "Saint-Pierre River" was formalized on August 8, 1977 at the "Banque de noms de lieux" (Bank of place names) of Commission de toponymie du Québec (Quebec Geographical Names Board).