Sibling facts for kids
Types of siblings
There are several different types of siblings.
- Full siblings (brother, sister): These siblings have the same father and mother.
- Half siblings (half-brother, half-sister): These siblings have one parent that is the same. They either have the same father or the same mother.
- Step siblings (stepbrother, stepsister): These sibling have different fathers and mothers but one of their parents is married to a parent of the other one.
- example: John and Tom are step brothers because John's father is married to Tom's mother.
- Siblings by breastfeeding: In Islam someone who is breastfed by a woman who is not their birth mother become siblings to the children of that woman if they are less than 2 years old and have been breastfed five times or more by that woman.
Images for kids
Two brothers from Haiti.
A newborn and his brothers
Portrait of Lady Cockburn and her Three Eldest Sons (1773–1775) by Joshua Reynolds
In Spanish: Hermano para niños
Sibling Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.