|This dot is small.
||This box is big.
The size of something is how much space the thing takes. It can also be described as how big or small something is.
Sizes can be measured. When a size is measured, it is given a number.
Words for sizes
- palmer is very small, as in short.
- small means "little"
- tiny means "very little"
- large means "big"
- huge means "very big"
Small and big are opposites.
- Example 1
- A yellow box is 2 metres long, 3 metres wide and 1 metre deep. The box has a volume of 6 cubic metres.
- A green box is 3 metres long, 3 metres wide and 1 metre deep. The size of the green box is 9 cubic metres.
- The green box is larger in size than the yellow box.
- Example 2
- A red box is 2 feet long, 3 feet wide and 1 foot deep. The box has a volume of 6 cubic feet.
- A blue box is 3 feet long, 3 feet wide and 1 foot deep. The size of the blue box is 9 cubic feet.
- The blue box is larger in size than the red box.
Images for kids
A size comparison illustration comparing the sizes of various planets and stars. In each grouping after the first, the last object from the previous group is presented as the first object of the following group, to present a continuous sense of comparison.
A bat skull next to a ruler used to measure size.
A finch egg next to a dime; a person familiar with the size of a dime would thereby have a sense of the size of the egg.
Forced perspective illusion wherein the perceived size of the Sphinx next to a human is distorted by the incomplete view of both, and the appearance of physical contact between the two.