Susana Olaondo facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|Born||27 May 1953
|Known for||Children's literature|
Susana Olaondo (born 27 May 1953) is a Uruguayan writer and illustrator.
Susana Olaondo was born in Montevideo in 1953. She studied drawing, painting, photography, sculpture, and introduction to visual and technical language in gardening, and graduated from the Municipal School of Gardening. Since 1990 she has held a plastic expression workshop for children where creativity is encouraged. The author highlights her versatility by writing her own stories and illustrating them. She initially started writing and drawing for her two children. In 1990 she illustrated her first book, La Tía Merelde, and since then has continued to work in children's literature. Several of her books have been published and translated in the United States and Chile. She has published several works, including an audiobook for the Braille Foundation of Uruguay.
The author has demonstrated her passion for nature, plants and animals, taking these elements as inspiration to reflect on later in her books. Some of her stories (Felipe, Olegario, Una Pindó) have been theatrically adapted.
Awards and recognitions
- 1997, 2nd National Literature Prize for children and young adults for Felipe
- 1998, 1st National Literature Prize for children and young adults for Un cuento de papel
- 2000, Honorable mention for Apenas un color from the Ministry of Education and Culture of Uruguay (MEC)
- 2002, Honorable mention for Uno de conejos from the MEC
- 2004, 1st mention for Una Pindó from the MEC
- 2006, 2nd National Literature Prize for children and young adults for Palabras (shared with writer Magdalena Helguera )
- 2008, Honorable mention for Gato negro, gato blanco from the MEC
- 2010, Bartolomé Hidalgo Prize for Por un color, "for encouraging reading in images, where text and illustration coexist, and the ethical and aesthetic function of Children's and Young People's Literature are combined"
- 2016, Golden Book Award for Los patos que no tiene ombligo
|1990||La Tía Merelde||Ediciones Mosca Hnos.|
|1992||Te lo dije Nino||Ediciones Mosca Hnos.|
|1992||Olegario un bicho de luz apagado||Ediciones Mosca Hnos.|
|1994||Un Pato||Ediciones de autor|
|1994||Violeta||Ediciones de autor|
|1994||Vamos||Ediciones de autor|
|1995||La radio de Don Marío||Braille Foundation of Uruguay||Audiobook|
|1998||Un cuento de papel||Alfaguara|
|2001||Julieta: ¿Qué plantaste?||Alfaguara|
|2002||Uno de conejos||Alfaguara|
|2002||Cuentos para contar||Asociación Ser del Uruguay||Proceeds donated to Hospital Pereira Rossell|
|2005||Si vas a dibujar...||Alfaguara|
|2006||El lapicito verde||Trilce|
|2006||Merelde y los lunares||Alfaguara|
|2007||Una lombriz y un águila||Alfaguara|
|2008||Gato blanco, gato negro||Alfaguara|
|2008||Meleté||Alfaguara||Reissue and new format|
|2009||¡Hay que insistir!||Alfaguara|
|2010||¡Por un Color...!||Alfaguara|
|2016||Los patos no tienen ombligo||Alfaguara|
Susana Olaondo Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.