Swallows and Amazons (2016 film) facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsSwallows and Amazons
British release poster
|Directed by||Philippa Lowthorpe|
|Written by||Andrea Gibb|
|Music by||Ilan Eshkeri|
|Editing by||Dave Thrasher|
|Release date(s)||19 August 2016(United Kingdom)|
|Running time||96 minutes|
|Money made||$3.9 million (UK)|
Swallows and Amazons is a 2016 British family adventure film directed by Philippa Lowthorpe and written by Andrea Gibb, based on Arthur Ransome's 1930 children's novel of the same name. The film stars Andrew Scott, Rafe Spall, Kelly Macdonald, Jessica Hynes, and Harry Enfield. Principal photography began on 21 June 2015 in the Lake District. The film, which was released on 19 August 2016, is the third audiovisual adaption of the novel; the first being a 6-part BBC TV series in 1963 and the second a 1974 film version.
The film is based on Ransome's book, but the script incorporates many changes to the plot. It chronicles the story of the Walker children on their holiday in the Lake District in the summer of 1935. They want to camp on an island in the lake. When they get there in the boat Swallow, they soon discover they are not alone. Two other children, the Blacketts, also known as the "Amazons", have set up camp there, and a battle for the island begins. But with Britain on the brink of war and a "secret agent" looking for the Blackett children's uncle, they have a series of adventures quite different from their plans.
- Rafe Spall as Jim Turner / "Captain Flint", the uncle of the Blackett children
- Andrew Scott as Lazlow, a "secret agent" looking for Jim Turner
- Kelly Macdonald as Mrs Walker, the mother of the Walker children
- Jessica Hynes as Mrs Jackson, the wife of Mr Jackson
- Harry Enfield as Mr Jackson
- Dane Hughes as John Walker
- Orla Hill as Susan Walker
- Teddie-Rose Malleson-Allen as Tatty Walker
- Bobby McCulloch as Roger Walker
- Seren Hawkes as Nancy Blackett
- Hannah Jayne Thorp as Peggy Blackett
Swallows and Amazons (2016 film) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.